Latin Jazz Dance Class at BTI Dance Institute
August 25, 2010 Leave a comment
I wish that all dance studios were as close to my place as BTI Dance Institute. If you live near Logan Circle, you’re only a couple blocks away from the studio located just north of 14th and P Street NW. Needless to say, I walked there in less than 10 minutes and even had time to go to the ATM!
Alvaro Maldonado started off Latin Jazz class with a typical warm up that included stretches, sit ups and push ups. He didn’t focus on ballet technique as much as he did during Glee Dance, but that was okay with me. I hate center barre. Some of the moves he did during the warm up including a chasse turn combination were later incorporated into the center combination. In addition, he did some across the floor exercises such as walks and kicks.
The center combination itself was pretty simple however a few of the 12 students had a hard time keeping up. I thought there would be more Latin dance moves incorporated, but it was more of a jazz routine than anything else. Although I’m not sure if he used Latin music per se, it was fun and festive which made dancing enjoyable. Overall, this is a good jazz class for beginners. Don’t expect to learn how to salsa, but do look forward to cha chas, pas de bourrees and pivot turns.
- Alvaro Maldonado
- Beginner/Intermediate Latin Jazz
- BTI Dance Institute – 1515 14th Street NW, Suite 200; Washington, DC 20005
- Tuesdays 6pm-7pm
- Right now there seems to be some sort of special. $10 per class or $15 for two (cash or credit).
- 11/15/10 Update – I noticed on the BTIDance.org site that Gentle Vinyasa Flow Yoga was scheduled this Tuesday from 6pm-7pm. I did not see Latin Jazz on the schedule.
- 1/15/11 Update – As of February 12th, BTI Dance is moving to 1643 Connective Ave NW.
- 12/6/11 Update – BTI Dance Institute will be closing as of December 9th, 2011.